Northern New Mexico and Arizona
Global Running Culture has established a number of initiatives in northern New Mexico and Arizona to inspire and support our youth in pursuing active lifestyles and the benefits of healthy nutrition. Our programs are free and are open to all youth from age 6 to 14.
These programs include:
- A 3-day indoor soccer camp at the Pojoaque Pueblo Wellness Center providing participants with the opportunity to learn soccer skills from experienced coaches provided by Southwest Youth Services. The camp was established in 2013.
- A 3-day running camp at the Pojoaque Pueblo Wellness Center facilitated by Wings of America. The first camp in 2014 was attended by over 120 aspiring runners who had the chance to run with world class runners, enjoy healthy lunches including bison provided by the Pueblo of Pojoaque and meals prepared by Pojoaque Valley High School chefs
- The Global Footprints Youth Runs held in conjunction with the half marathon, providing children age 6-14 with the opportunity to be the focus of attention during the Global Running Festival. This event started in 2012 with the Global Footprints Youth Relay, where 3 teams work together to cover as many miles as possible in the allotted time. This fun event now focuses on younger runners age 6-10, who run with Tarahumaran, Kenyan, Native American and other runners. the Global Footprints Youth Cross Country Run is a 3K event where runners are timed and compete for prizes.
- Grass-roots outreach as emissaries of Olympic Champion Billy Mills’ foundation, Running Strong for American Indian Youth. Starting in 2013, Global Running Culture has distributed 100 daypacks filled with school supplies, solar reading lights from Unite to Light and 100 winter jackets, hats, mittens and scarves to children in the Hopi reservation, Jemez Pueblo and the 8 northern Pueblos of New Mexico.
- Provision of financial support, starting in 2012, to Girls on the Run, whose focus is educating and inspiring girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living.
Matungen, Kenya Copper Canyon, Mexico